I have written a series of post on my blog about the top 10 events related to social media in emergency management in 2012
As 2013 gets underway, it's important to look back at what the previous year brought in the long process towards integrating social media into emergency management (SMEM), BCP and crisis communications planning. In that regard, I have come up with a list of the top 10 SMEM events of the year. Here they are:
- Superstorm Sandy
- The launch of the American Red Cross Digital Operations Centre
- The publication of an SMEM best practices guide from New Zealand
- The spring tornado outbreak in the US
- The Aurora theatre shooting
- The SOPA episode and the power of the crowd
- The new FEMA SMEM online course
- The SMEMTO conference
- The wildfires in the western US
- The Israel-Hamas War
I'd also encourage members of PTSC-Online to read the blogs posts from Kim Stephens (idisaster 2.0) who takes a look at key SMEM challenges for 2013 and from Jim Garrow (the face of the matter) on the big lessons learned in 2012. Impressive reads ... well thought out.
I hope you enjoy all the posts!